Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sparkler Scripts

Thanks for stoppin' by Bsombin'! This a pic my sis' took of me writing my name, backwards, with a sparkler. I had to write it backwards so I wouldn't get in the way of the sparkler's trail & mess up the shot. ...It ain't easy writing things you can't see, backwards & as fast as you can, in cursive. Just another odd skill I acquired during my years as a graffiti writer. I learned to think in reverse when I used to tag on buses. I always tried to stand out, so I started writing my name backwards on the outsides of bus windows so the people riding the bus could read my tags from the inside. I wrote backwards, on the insides of the bus windows, so that the people on the street could read the tags through the windows, as well. It got me noticed more & made me think different. In a way, graffiti taught me to think in new dimensions. I learned to write my name in a bunch of different styles that connected, like cursive, going forwards; backwards; upside down; & vertically. This made me look at lettering in new ways & gave me a deeper understanding of the dynamics of letters & fonts. It also taught me to think outside the box and look for ways to do old things in new ways. I wouldn't be half the artist I am today, and perhaps not an artist at all, if it hadn't have been for the things I learned over the years as a graffiti writer/artist. I also wouldn't be the person I am today, if it wasn't for the things I learned on the streets while doing graffiti. I guess what I'm getting at is that good things don't always start off good, but that doesn't mean we can't take good from bad or make a bad situation into something good. I need to remind myself of things like this, from time to time, so I decided to share with you as I take a sec to appreciate what life has lead me through & brought me to. ...Thank for checking out the blog! Don't forget to check back for more art, music, & more...

No comments:

Post a Comment