Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Monday, September 16, 2013

Alcoholism

There was a time in my life when I lived in a bottle. I found my courage, comfort, pleasure, and peace at the bottom of bottles and nowhere else. I drank with a passion (and a death wish) going through a fifth of booze every day or 2. I would just sober up to get drunk again, and was either drunk or hung over most of the time. Soon, I found myself a functioning alcoholic that couldn't function without a few drinks. It went on for some time and got worse and worse, until my heart decided to start breakdancing in my chest one day. I had to look death in the eye before I saw how out of control my drinking had gotten. My little scare made me decide that I needed to do something about my problem. I was determined to regain control over myself and stop drinking. It was a fight to free myself of my vice's hold, and it took time to relearn the self control that I had surrendered to alcohol, but, with the Lord's help, I was able to get past withdrawal and sober up. Thankfully, I am no longer an alcoholic. These days, I seldom drink. But, when I do, I can enjoy a beer, or cocktail, without feeling like I need to get plastered. ...I wrote a poem about drinking, during my struggle, that I wanted to share, for anyone out there that is going through that struggle. 


"The Flow In Me"

Magic elixir, & 
Destroyer of dynasties, 
...You are the fire that 
Flows in side of me

Mask all that ales me with
Forget & irony;
You make me 
Act stupid, 
When I ask you 
Enlighten me;
I seek your 
Comfort,
But you just 
Hurt & frighten me;
You lift me 
Up High, 
Then you 
Break me down 
Violently;
Brought chilled, "on the rocks",
Still your entrance is fiery;
I can't live without you,
Though you keep saying,
"Die!",
To me;
You drowned out 
Life's "noise",
As I sit and 
Drink Silently,
Me without you
Isn't something that I can see

...Magic elixir,
Destroyer of Dynasties,
Will your noose ever loosen,
Or will you for ever be tide to me? 


-Bsomb4


Life is a lot better out side of the bottle. If you happen to be living life in a bottle, just remember you don't have to. It might not be easy, but you can find your way out! 

1 comment: