Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Guatemala Part4 - Antigua

Unfortunately, our trip to Guatemala was short. We didn't get to see all of my family and it was over before it really got started. We did get to spend a few days in Antigua, though! ...Ever since the first time I went back, after moving to the U.S., it has been my favorite part of Guatemala. I was excited to take the lil' ninja there! Antigua is a small town that's about an hour's drive away from Guatemala City. It's one of the oldest towns in Guatemala, and was established by Spanish missionaries. There's a lot of culture and history in Antigua. The streets are almost exactly the same as they were hundreds of years ago! It still has cobble stone streets and dirt roads, through out most of the town. Many of the churches and buildings in the town are over 400 years old, are protected by the historical preservation societies, and have been made national monuments.

The town is full of old churches, tourists, and ghost stories! ...It's said the whole town is haunted and that ghosts have been seen walking in the streets late at night. It's supposed to be the most haunted part of Guatemala. There are a lot of old folk tales about strange creatures and poltergeists that have been seen walking the streets and country side, late at night, by the locals! ...Some of them good and some evil. From devil dogs (that protect lost drunks on their walk home) to female poltergeists (that kill men and rob them of their souls), Antigua has stories about all kinds of things that go bump in the night!! ...The only strange creatures that I saw, though, were some of the drunk tourists. ...No devil dogs though.


Antigua is also surrounded by volcanos! ...But only 2 of the 3 are active. Anyhow, here are some images from my time in Antigua...






















After leaving Antigua, I went back to the city for, a day, to visit with family and do some shopping. Crime in the city is pretty out of control, though. People get killed, everyday, over their cell phones and jewelry. Stick-up kids and car jackers are everywhere, and armed robbery is common. I've actually lost a few relatives to stick up kids and car jackers. So as a result, every time I tried to pull my camera (or phone) out, whoever I happened to be with would freak out and tell me to put it away. Everyone lives in fear of being held up & shot down. Because of this, I wasn't able to get any images around the city, unfortunately. I did record a lot of great memories, though. It was a great time, for both my daughter and I. But, I did get home sick, on my short trip, and couldn't wait to get back to L.A. I'm planning on going back to Guatemala, later this year. So maybe I'll be able to get some city captures then... But, for now, I'll keep busy capturing images in, and around, the City of Los Angeles!! Thanks and check back soon for more Bsombin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment