Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Friday, April 9, 2010

My Warrior Princess


Today was the first time my daughter got in the ring and fought! It was a pretty emotional moment for both of us. For me, it was pride, joy, and happiness, to see my little "Amazon" face her fears and overcome them. For her, though, it was just that... Fear! I could see it in her eyes when she asked me to re-tie her belt, before she went in. But regardless, she went in and face her fears and opponent ( an older, higher ranking, girl) like a seasoned warrior. It took her a minute to get over the fear and remember her training. She started by throwing wild punches, with no direction, and taking a lot of punches, all over. But once she got over the fear, and remembered what to do, she started putting the hurt on the green belt she was facing. Her Sensei ended the fight as soon as she started connecting to her opponents face too much. She came back with tears welling up in her eyes, from all the emotion and adrenaline. I asked her why she was crying, and she replied," I got something in my eye". I smiled, wiped the tear from her eye and told her that she had done a great job and that I was proud of her. She flashed a quick smile and went back to watching the rest of the class take turns getting in the ring. After class we talked about it. She admitted she was crying because she was afraid. I then explained to her that that was what made me so proud of her getting in there and fighting, not the fact that she whooped on the green belt, and reassured her that she had done a great job for her first time getting in the ring. She is excited to get back in the ring now, and went straight to practicing her technique after class. I got a badass on my hands! Lol. So I leave you with this... Fear is natural, it's what we do with that fear that determines the depth and integrity of our character. Don't ever let it hold you back!

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
--- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

No comments:

Post a Comment