Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Journey - pt.2

Thanks for checking out Bsombin'!! I am on a "journey" of sorts. It's a journey, into a new world in the art universe, for me. I have been straying farther & farther from the traditional ideas of art, over the years. But, recently, I have been going in a whole new direction. It started last year. In working on our "X-former" project, with Kibatsu, I began to entertain the idea of playing with acrylic (plexiglass) in my art. It then brought me to thinking about 3D art & prospective art. I began looking into anamorphic art & thinking of ways to make the type of art that I had never seen before. I got an idea, after remembering a piece made by, my hero, Salvadore Dalia. I saw it a few years ago when LACMA showed a collection of his drawings, paintings, sculptures, & films. The piece was a small wooden box with multiple glass planes, evenly spaced with about an inch between each plane, inside. Each plane had some trees and bicycle riders painted on them. The thing that grabbed my attention was how everything inside the box seemed to move when you walked past it. The spacing between the planes created the illusion that the images inside the box were moving, as you moved around the box & changed your prospective. I decided to try making art that would change the way it looked depending on where you stand & look at it. I did more research & found artist like Hans Hamngren, & Shigeo Fukuda, who lead me to think farther outside the box than ever before. I began experimenting & trying to find ways to play with the viewer's eyes. After a little thinking, & playing around, I came up with the idea for my acrylic art. I also started trying my hand at anamorphic art (I posted my first anamorphic effort, here on the blog, back in May). Once I knew what I wanted to do, I started looking around for places to get my new art supplies from. In my search, I found Gavrieli Sign Supplies (pt. 1 of the journey). Because of my budget, & the high cost of the acrylic (plexiglass), I wasn't able to buy my supplies right away. But, I wanted to start testing my ideas & seeing if the things I had envisioned would actually work. So, I looked around and found a cheaper, but much smaller, option. I bought some picture frames & started making some gifts that I would later hand out at Xmas time. This was stop 2 in this journey of mine. I had to substitute glass for acrylic, so I wasn't able to do all the things I had in mind. I did get to successfully test the main, & most important, ideas, though. Here are some of the gifts I gave out to friends & family last Xmas. ...the first of my glass portraits!


No comments:

Post a Comment