Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Living In The Garden - Part 2 (The Mantis & The Rose - 09/30/2019)

Thanks for checkin' out the Bsombin' blog! Before we move on to the next lowrider event, I wanted to go back in the archive and pull out some more old images (aside from the museum tours). I had these pictures of a praying mantis that had been living in the back yard on the rose bush, in my archives. I realized, after finding the pictures, that I had actually started a segment on the little critter and forgot to continue adding to it. I looked up the old post and realized that these images should be the next post in the segment and decided to pick up were I left off with the segment. I think this is a new record for the most time between updates in a segment, though.

Sadly, the little mantis in gone. They only have a life expectancy of about a year. So, I'm sure she's long gone, by now. I started learning about mantises while she was living in the rose bush. I was able to determine that it was a female because of the number of sections her abdomen had. Females have fewer sections and the sections are wider. While males have thiner abdomens with more sections. Females have have 5 sections and males have 8, usually. If you look closely at some of the pictures in these posts, you can count the sections of her abdomen. She lived there for several months before disappearing one day. And during that time I was able to get a lot of pictures of my little green neighbor. I learned a lot about mantises during her stay in the rose bush. So I'll be sharing some of the stuff I learned as I post the images. ...Like how to tell male and female mantises apart, for example.






No comments:

Post a Comment