Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

The Broad Museum (09/26/2019) - Part 10 Glenn Ligon & Robert Longo

Thanks for checkin' out the Bsombin' blog! This is the last part of our pre-pandemic tour of the Broad museum. The museum reopened last week and has a whole bunch of new work on display. So this will be the last part of this tour. But, there will be another tour of the museum, soon, now that is is reopened.

This last part of this tour takes us through a small section where one of Glenn Ligon's pieces is found. It's a neon sign titled Double America 2. I took a few pictures of it, since it was flashing and changing as it flashed. I also included a shot of all the people that were surrounding the piece. It was a pretty popular section of the museum. 






The last section of the museum that we saw was the Robert Longo section. I was blown away by this man's drawings! His ability to draw hyper-realistic images is insane! My aunt was with me, when I went to the museum. And we were both unsure about what we were looking at. We thought were looking at photos, at first. Even then, we were impressed. But, when I check the name plaques to see what the titles were, I saw they were charcoal drawings.

The way Longo created the effect of light, the perfect proportions and contrast, the intricate details, the masterful shading, and scale of the images all left us speechless. My aunt and I just looked at each other in disbelief, once we realized these were all drawings. The pictures don't do these pieces an ounce of justice, though. And the glare from the glass takes a lot away from the images. These pieces really need to be see in person to be fully appreciated. The pieces Untitled (Black Pussy Hat at Woman's March) and Untitled (Ferguson Police, August 13, 2014) left me in awe. I loved everything about these piece. But the technical skill and mastery of charcoal and graphite was hard for me to get over. My aunt and I were trippin' on these pieces all the way home from the museum. It was a great way to end our tour and an afternoon in downtown.









That's it for this tour of the Broad. Next we'll be going to a few cruises that I went to over the past weekend, before we look at some of Michael Angelo's art at the Crystal Cathedral! I'm probably going to slip a few poems and a couple of other surprises in, between the lowriding and museum tours, too. So check back soon for more Bsombin'! 

No comments:

Post a Comment