Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Sunday, August 25, 2019

Back Down On Upper Grand

Thanks for checkin' out the Bsombin' blog! I'm starting to feel like I don't want to shoot in daylight anymore. I have been. But the more I explore the world of night photography the more that I love it. Long exposure photography, in particular! I especially love light trails and light painting. Light trails were one of the main reasons I started shooting. After seeing light trail images for the first time, I wanted to learn how to make my own.

The last time I went to downtown, I posted up across the street from to the Disney Concert Hall to get some light trail shots. I started on 1st and Upper Grand and worked my way south on Grand. The thing about light trails is you never really know what you are going to get out of a long exposure of traffic. The streets are just too unpredictable. I usually have a good idea of what the shots will look like, when I set up my tripod and adjust the settings on the camera. But it's hard to tell what the cars in the street are going to do and how everything will record. For example, I had a few shots where cars stopped at the intersection while the shutter was open. Some of the results were things I didn't plan. I had a shot of a car making a right turn that made the license plate readable. But the rest of the car was phaded and blended into the light trails behind it. It's also interesting to see what the streets themselves do to the light trails. Like how bumps and potholes make straight light trails get wavey or put bends in them. There are a lot of tricks you can do with long exposure photography too. I'm planning on posting some tutorials, since I've had people asking me about the tricks and techniques that I use on some videos I posted on Bsombin.com. So that will be happening soon. But for now, I want to share the pictures I got on Upper Grand.





















Thanks for checkin' out the Bsombin' blog. Check back soon for more Bsombin"!

No comments:

Post a Comment