Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Broad Museum (09/26/2019) - Part 5 Yayoi Kusama

Thanks for stoppin' by and checkin' out the Bsombin' blog! We've been looking back at a tour of the Broad museum that I took my Aunt Brenda on back in September of 2019. And we're finally to the part of the tour that I was most excited about! Yayoi Kusama's Infinity Rooms! I was excited because I had never been in the Infinity room. And, because we learned that there was a second smaller Infinity room that had been recently added!

When we first arrived at the museum, we had to put our names on a waiting list for the Infinity room. They told us to come back in 45 minutes and that we would then have to wait in a short line before seeing the room. So, after seeing the first 5 sections of the museum, my aunt and I headed back down stairs to check in and get in line for the first Infinity room. When we got there we had to wait in a short line for about 10 minutes before it was our turn to go in. They don't allow more than 2 people in the Infinity room at a time. And, they only allow you to be in the room for about a minute, before they let the next person (or two) have their turn. Still, we had about a dozen people ahead of us in line. And most of them wanted to go in by themselves. When our turn came, my aunt wanted to go together, to make things faster. She stood behind me when I took pictures, though. So you can't really see her in the flicks. But, if you look at them closely, you can see a pair of feet standing behind me.





After our minute in the Infinity room was up, my aunt and I took the elevator back up to the second floor to get in line for the second Infinity "room". When we got to the corner of the museum that it was being displayed in, we realized that it was actually more of an Infinity "structure". It wasn't actually a room you could enter. It was a large, white, six-sided structure with several holes cut out of it at different levels (for people of varying heights and ages to see). Holes were cut out all the way around the structure, too, so pairs (or groups) could stand on opposite sides and see one another through the Infinity room.

There was a long line. But, again, people were only allowed to view the display for a short time because it was intended to only be seen by a few people at a time. At this Infinity room, we were given even less time to look, too. So the line went faster than I expected. The line did gave me a chance to just sit and take in the beauty of the building itself. The museum's architecture is beautifully designed and makes you feel like you are inside one of the contemporary master pieces that are on display inside of it. It's a work of art in and of itself. Standing in it makes you feel like you are in a work of art because you literally are! After waiting about 5 minutes, we got to the front of the line and were told that 1 to 3 people could go at a time and that we only had 15 seconds to look in the Infinity room.





When we got our turn, we looked inside and saw that the structure was filled with mirrors and lights. The lights changed colors and turned on and off at different times to create different patterns in the reflections. It gave me a feeling like I was looking into a different dimension. Even though I already knew, it was still a trip when I pulled my head away and saw how small the infinite looking space really was from the outside. 15 seconds didn't give me a lot of time to shoot the second Infinity room. So I just got a few flicks before being told our time was up. That's one display I really hope to be able to see again when the museum reopens. 

That gets us almost half way through our tour. But there's still a lot left to see of the Broad. We still have to check out work from artist like Mark Tansey, Jean-Michel Basquiat, & Takashi Murakami! I also have a lot more content from recent lowrider cruises, some new poetry, and new paintings that I'll be sharing after the museum tour! So make sure to check back soon for more art, poetry, lowriding, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment