Bsombin' Los Angeles

Bsombin' Los Angeles
Bsombin' Los Angeles

Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Broad Museum (09/26/2019) - Part 8 Jean-Michel Basquiat & Jenny Saville

 Thanks for stoppin' by and checkin' out the blog! We've been going through old pictures I took on a trip to the Broad museum back in 2019. I took my aunt Brenda who was visiting from Guatemala. And I took pictures of most of the art there so I could share it here. I've divided all the images up into the different sections that made up the museum, since there is so much to see. So far we've gone through about two-thirds of the sections in the museum and have seen work from artist like Andy Warhol, Jasper Johns, Edward Ruscha, Yayoi Kusama, Jeff Koons, and Mark Tansey.

The next section we went to look at was Jean-Michel Basquiat's. My aunt was excited to see his work in person. The Broad had a lot of it for her to see, too. I feel like his work isn't something that pictures can do justice, though. It wasn't until I stood in front of his work that I developed an appreciation for it. It's almost like you can feel it, when you see it I person. His work is filled with so much emotion and energy that you can feel it radiating off the work and filling the room. Almost like he painted them with some kind of radioactive paint. We took our time in this section and found so many things in his work to talk about. From the footprints on Eggs and Eyes, to the way he created depth with the layers on the Untitled "skull", Basquiat did a lot of things that made me think and wonder about his thoughts, feelings, and the  processes for creating his art.















Basquiat's work filled most of this section. But there was one other artist's work in the section, too. On one wall was a giant work that was made up of three giant canvases. It was painted by Jenny Saville. I don't know much about Saville. But I did like her work. It was obvious that it wasn't Basquiat's work. But, in an odd way, it fit in with Basquiat's. 



Saville had one more drawing on display. But thats part of the 10% of the museum's work that I didn't get pictures of (for whatever reason).

No comments:

Post a Comment